Conditions We Treat

Solutions Therapy & Sports Medicine helps patients with many different conditions. Please click on the body areas highlighted in the diagram below for information on common conditions we treat and how physical therapy can help you.


Pelvic Pain

What Causes Pelvic floor dysfunction?

The pelvic floor creates a sling in your pelvis that holds up your internal organs. When you are not able to control the muscles in the pelvic floor, it is called pelvic floor dysfunction. Most patients keep the muscles continually contracted versus relaxed. Pelvic floor dysfunction commonly occurs after child birth but may arise in both men and women.

WHAT ARE THE Signs of pelvic floor problems?

Several symptoms may cause pelvic floor dysfunction. Unfortunately, many women are not comfortable asking their doctor about these issues. If not treated properly when symptoms arise, long term problems may arise. Long term consequences include prolapse, chronic low back pain, incontinence, and lumbar disc herniations.

If these symptoms arise, you should see your pelvic floor PT as soon as possible.

Common symptoms include:

  • Inability to hold urine while working out/jumping/running.
  • Painful intercourse
  • Stress incontinence
  • Chronic SIJ dysfunction
  • Pelvic pain after pregnancy
  • Lumbar instability after pregnancy
  • Constipation

HOW CAN pelvic floor dysfunction BE TREATED?

Pelvic floor dysfunction can frequently be treated with a skilled pelvic floor specialist. Our treatments commonly include biofeedback, breathing techniques, core and pelvic floor stabilization in addition to examining your alignment, flexibility, and strength.
Common Pelvic Floor Issues Treated:

  • Core or SIJ Dysfunction after Pregnancy
  • Stress Incontinence
  • Lumbar Instability/Alignment issues during Pregnancy
  • External Pelvic Floor Weakness

Contact us today at Alexandria, VA center so we can help you quickly resolve your pelvic floor dysfunction. If we can cannot address fix your issues externally, we will refer you to an internal pelvic floor specialist.